Darren E. Lee Scholarship
Helping nearly 125 multifamily professionals achieve their goals.
The Darren E. Lee Scholarship was established to honor the memory of a man of great integrity who unconditionally loved and selflessly gave with a joyful heart. Darren had a passion for education and the apartment industry that was second to none, and was a strong supporter of AAGO as a Volunteer Instructor and Board Member. He was committed to ensuring that those with the desire to receive a quality education would be given the opportunity, and took great pride in developing the careers of so many in the industry. While Darren is missed, his spirit will continuously grow through the recipients of the scholarship bearing his name.
The Darren E. Lee Scholarship was established in 2007, and has enabled almost 125 individuals to advance or pursue a career in apartment management!
"The Darren E. Lee Scholarship and educational opportunities allowed me to learn valuable insights and skills that I was able to apply in my day-to-day activities as a property manager. I made lasting connections with other industry professionals, relationships that I still have today! Industry peers, mentors, and leaders have provided me with impactful resources, advice, and became lasting friends. I connected with AAGO and have been a volunteer, teacher, and supporter for AAGO ever since."
Candidates for the scholarship may include:
- Individuals interested in one of many apartment industry careers such as: leasing, management, maintenance, or vendor/supplier account executive.
- Current property management professionals who are unemployed or unable to absorb the cost of a qualifying education opportunity offered by AAGO.
What does the scholarship cover?
- If your application is approved, the Darren E. Lee Scholarship will pay a portion of the education program you qualified for. Funding amount is determined by available scholarship funds, eligibility, and the cost of the program.
- Recipients have received financial assistance for programs such as Leasing As a Career, Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT), Certified Apartment Manager (CAM), EPA Certification, Certified Pool Operator (CPO), and more. Due to the overwhelming number of applicants, we have limited the number of students who may receive a scholarship towards their CAM designation to 1 student in the spring and 1 student in the fall, a total of 2 CAM students per calendar year. There will be 1 CAMT student per calendar year for the fall series.
- The Darren E. Lee Scholarship does NOT cover programs offered outside of the AAGO, i.e., college courses or those offered by competing institutions.
For more information on the scholarship or to contribute, please contact Lydia Torres, Education Manager at 407-644-0539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.